Dental assistants fill a crucial role in a medical office, supporting dentists by educating patients, preparing exam rooms and equipment, scheduling appointments, and helping with lab work. Dental assisting is an exciting career that offers individuals the chance to do rewarding work in the medical field. The Praxis Institute has campuses in Miami and Hialeah, Florida. Here, we offer insight into the jobs that dental assistants do and give an overview of our Dental Assistant Program.
Roles and Responsibilities
Dental assistants are versatile medical professionals who perform a wide range of tasks to keep a dental office running efficiently. The duties of a dental assistant might include:
Dental assistants help dentists throughout a patient’s appointment, ensuring a positive experience. They may set up the exam room, welcome the patient, sterilize dental instruments, and assist the dentist during a routine cleaning or specialized procedure.
Dental assistants may be responsible for instructing patients in proper oral hygiene, such as how to brush or floss effectively. They may provide aftercare instructions, such as telling patients how to care for their teeth after a root canal or filling.
Providing excellent dental care requires a high level of organization and coordination. Dental assistants may update patient records, schedule appointments, call patients with reminders, order medical supplies, or help with billing and insurance documentation.
Imaging and Laboratory Work
Under the direction of a dentist, dental assistants may prepare a patient for X-rays, including positioning the X-ray machines, preparing patients with protective equipment, and taking and developing images. They also may help with laboratory procedures, such as taking impressions of a patient’s teeth or preparing temporary crowns for a patient.
Advantages of a Career in Dental Assisting
If you enjoy working with people, a career in dental assisting may be a good fit for you. You’ll enjoy the personal satisfaction of knowing you are helping patients each day. Working as a dental assistant offers many other benefits, such as
- Rapid career readiness: You can earn your diploma in Dental Assisting in less than a year, allowing you to quickly enter the workforce and start working – unlike other medical careers that require multiple years of training and advanced degrees.
- Flexibility: Dental assistants are in demand – according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there will be an average of 44,000 job openings for dental assistants each year until 2030. Dental assistants will be able to choose between full-time and part-time roles, allowing flexibility for continued education and family responsibilities.
- Variety: As a dental assistant, you’ll have a mix of clinical and administrative tasks. Your tasks may vary from week to week, meaning you’ll gain resume-boosting experience in areas such as patient administration, office coordination, and recordkeeping.
- Work-life balance: Unlike other jobs in the medical field, dental offices tend to maintain conventional business hours. You’re likely to have a 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. schedule, instead of working late nights or weekends. This helps you maintain a healthy balance between your career and your personal life.
Our Dental Assistant Program
The Dental Assistant Program at The Praxis Institute is a comprehensive diploma program with Certification in Expanded Functions that combines online courses with in-person laboratory work. Students can earn their diploma in 11 months and complete a 120-hour externship in a dental clinic, gaining hands-on experience for their careers. The program offers flexible scheduling to accommodate working students, as well as competitive pricing to help make career education accessible. Program courses include:
- Introduction to Dental Assisting
- Dental Chairside Assisting
- Dental X-Ray
- Dental Laboratory
Our Dental Assistant Program is accepted by the Dental Assisting National Board, Inc. Students who graduate from the program are eligible to earn the National Entry Level Dental Assistant (NELDA) certification, a key qualification that hiring managers look for in prospective dental assistants.
Learn More about Diploma Programs at The Praxis Institute
If you’re seeking career-focused education in a supportive environment, look no further than The Praxis Institute. Serving students in Miami and the surrounding area, The Praxis Institute is committed to equipping students with the practical healthcare training they need to thrive in careers such as Dental Assisting, Advanced Therapeutic Sports and Clinical Massage, and more. We have conveniently located campuses in Miami and Hialeah, FL, and offer financial aid to those who qualify. For more information, contact us today.