If you want to work in healthcare, one option is becoming a dental assistant. After about 11 months of classes, hands-on training, and working in the field, graduates of the dental assistant program at The Praxis Institute, with campuses in the Miami, Florida, area, are ready to get to work. In addition, those who want to gain certification as an entry-level dental assistant are prepared to sit for the three-part national exam.
The Benefits of Dental Assistant Training
As with our other diploma programs, our dental assistant school starts enrolling students every week, so you don’t have to wait until the term or semester starts to begin learning your new profession. In the healthcare training programs at The Praxis Institute, students learn from teachers, dental professionals, and each other. Classes include subjects such as:
- Chairside assisting
- Dental x-ray
- Laboratory techniques
Students in this program learn about anatomy with an emphasis on the head and neck. They are brought up to date on new techniques and research. And they are prepared to practice safety in their new work environments with training in Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations, as well as proper infection control and sterilization methods.
Part of the important work of dental assistants is keeping themselves, their patients, and the entire dental office safe. They sterilize equipment and prepare the instruments for dental procedures. Care during X-rays and other imaging techniques is another area where vigilance and professionalism are emphasized.
Important Qualities for Dental Assistants
Dental assistants also need these important qualities:
- Organizational skills for setting up procedures, sterilizing equipment, and taking care of the paperwork
- Hand dexterity for handling small, sharp tools and helping dentists perform procedures
- Listening ability to hear what patients are describing about their dental needs, and what dentists need at the chairside
- People skills for handling a variety of patients, some of whom are afraid of the dentist
- Team orientation for following instructions from the dentist, as well as contributing skills and insight
- Communication skills for talking to patients of all ages and explaining procedures and aftercare protocols
- Problem-solving abilities for dealing with issues that arise during procedures, or with office paperwork
- Time management for being ready to go for each procedure, and helping the team stay on target
These attributes can be developed over time. Becoming a dental assistant requires patience and our students are exposed to all aspects of dental assistant work to help them build these important skills.
How to Become a Dental Assistant
If you are interested in becoming a dental assistant, talk to the assistants at your dentist’s office. Find out how they approached their professional goals and get some real-world advice. The next step is to apply for admission to a qualified dental assistant school or program. The Praxis Institute offers classes and hands-on training at both of its beautiful campus locations in Miami and Hialeah, Florida.
Enroll in Healthcare Training at The Praxis Institute
Our teaching staff has years of experience in the dental field, and they are dedicated to the success of our students. Career services at The Praxis Institute provide resources for networking, interview skills, resume building, and job searching advice. Our programs feature flexible scheduling and competitive pricing. Additionally, financial aid is available for eligible students. Start the application process. Contact us today.