What is Biomedical Equipment Technology?
Biomedical Equipment Technology is a medical field that utilizes engineering and technology for designing, operating, calibrating, testing and maintaining medical devices seeing in hospitals, medical clinics, and laboratories.
If you enjoy helping others in need and you have always been interested in technology, the Biomedical Equipment Technology might be a career path that you may enjoy. Combine your desire to improve the lives of others with your technical skills in the Associate Degree in Biomedical Equipment Technology. This is a program that will help you to prepare for a career where you can become a vital member of the medical community. Sound like a good fit for you? Learn more now!
What does a Biomedical Equipment Technician do?
Biomedical Equipment Technician are a highly skilled electromechanical technicians who ensures that the medical equipment is safe, fully functional and properly configured to utilize on patients in hospitals and clinical settings. BMETs install, inspect, maintain, repair, calibrate, modify, design and support medical equipment systems located at Operating Rooms, Intensive Care Units, Labs, etc. to adhere to medical standard guidelines
As a Medical Equipment Technician, you can choose a variety of jobs within the medical field. Medical Equipment Technician can work as:
- Medical Equipment Technician for manufacturers of medical equipment
- Medical Equipment Technician in Hospitals or Biomed companies
- Trainer- training medical staff and doctors
- Medical sales
- Own your own Biomed (Medical Technology) business
About the Program
The Associate’s Degree Program in Biomedical Equipment Technology is designed to prepare students to seek a variety of entry-level positions in the field of Biomedical Equipment Technology. The program consists of 21 months classes in the learning of the basic engineering principles and technical skills necessary to properly maintain diagnostic and life support equipment in the health and medical fields. Students undergo training in electronics and computer technology, with a special emphasis on medical device applications, operations, and procedures. This program includes instructional classes in electronics, computer knowledge, instrument calibration, design, installation, testing, maintenance of medical equipment and medical device safety. The general education component of the program prepares students to have a critical thinking in preparation for taking on leadership positions in the biomedical field. The program also prepares students to take the test to become a Certified Biomedical Technician (CBET) by AAMI Credentials Institute (ACI).
Upon successful program completion, graduates should be able to:
- Utilize wiring diagrams and schematic drawings to perform repair and maintenance on medical equipment and computers.
- Demonstrate the ability to troubleshoot, perform preventative maintenance, calibrate and repair medical equipment and computers.
- Perform as ethical professionals in the field of study, exhibiting sound reasoning and effective communication in an increasingly diverse world.
- Demonstrate familiarity with basic human anatomy, standard medical practices, routine medical procedures, and basic safety procedures.
- Number of students who completed program in last award year: 5
- Number of students who completed within the normal time: 5
- Percentage of students who completed within the normal time: 83%
- Job Placement Rate: 100%
|COURSE NUMBERS||COURSE TITLE||CREDIT HOURS||CLOCK HOURS|
|ENC 101||Composition I*||3||45|
|ENC 102||Composition II*||3||45|
|SPC 100||Basic Speech and Communication*||3||45|
|HSC 103||Introduction to Psychology*||3||45|
|HSC 100||Anatomy and Physiology I (+lab)*||3||60|
|HSC 102||Anatomy and Physiology II (+lab)*||3||60|
|HSC 110||Medical Terminology*||3||45|
|MAT 100||College Algebra*||3||45|
|ELE 100||Introduction to Biomedical Equipment Technology*||3||45|
|ELE 101||Fundamentals of Electronics I (+lab)*||3||60|
|ELE 102||Fundamentals of Electronics II(+lab)*||3||60|
|ELE 103||Fundamentals of Electronics III (+lab)*||3||60|
|ELE 131||Solid State Electronics I (+lab)*||3||60|
|ELE 132||Solid State Electronics II (+lab)*||3||60|
|ELE 221||Computer Repair: Systems and Software (+lab)*||3||60|
|ELE 222||Computer Repair: Hardware Applications (+lab)*||3||60|
|ELE 251||Biomedical Equipment Instrumentation I (+lab)*||3||60|
|ELE 252||Biomedical Equipment Instrumentation II (+lab)*||3||60|
|ELE 253||Biomedical Equipment Instrumentation III (+lab)*||3||60|
|ELE 295||Biomedical Externship1||3||135|
|ELE 296||Biomedical Externship2||3||135|
* Courses offered online